Dilemma, dilemma, dilemma.... itulah masalahnya bila nama dah glamer giler... :)
Many friends do not really know my full name. Family members would call me Pejol... old friends would call me Faizul... ITM friends would call me John... and after that it became Johan.
Most new friends still do not know what my exact full name is. Well, it is Faizul Johan Bin Abdul Manaf. When I was studying in France, the university mates had difficulties in remembering the name Faizul (my surname would automatically be Manaf... how la, I don't have a surname, so I use my father's name if anybody asks me my surname).
So, I have decided to make my name simpler and easier to remember: Johan Manaf... Johan being a common name in Europe, so I thot that it would be easier for the friends but unfortunately, most of the time it became "Yohan"... what to do, I accepted it...
After returning to "Tanahair" (I luv this word), I forgot to change back my name to Faizul... Btw, I kinna like the name Johan (champion one you know!)... people would be calling me "champion" all the time, and I believe that psychologically, it does work...it makes me a better man...hehehe...
But now, in this part of the world, they kinna relate the name "Johan" to a western name...a biblical name, a Hebrew name...John or Yohannes...the meaning is also quite nice "God is gracious"...ok what, nice name rite...? But no, not so...nice name - Yes, Western name - also Yes. So when they get to know that I am Muslim, they kinna ask me why the name Johan so the whole story comes out...dadadi...dadada...voila...! Johan...
They say that I better use back my first name: Faizul...or even better the original version of it...Faisal (btw, previously in UAE, my name was written as Faisal in Arabic) Why Faisal in KSA? Because the people here like the name Faisal...Faisal is a common name in KSA, it was the name of the late King Faisal of KSA...hmmm...have to check out what Faisal means...
Just checked it out...it means - "Resolute/Decisive/Criterion/Arbitrator/Arbiter/Umpire"...hua like that one huh...? Hmmm...nice, nice...
Currently in my biz card, they have put my name as "Faisul J. Abdul Manaf"...apa2lah...! Jgn panggil Manaf sudah...!! Tersedak my father in Malaysia everytime somebody calls me "Manaf". Hehehe....
(Cultural note : Malays believe that if you accidentally call out the name of a person who you know, but who is not there at that time, the person will choke/hiccup - tersedak, at the other side of the world. So whenever somebody chokes/tersedak, means that somebody just mentioned his/her name somewhere...iyalah tuh! Kat Mesia nih, macam2 ada...!!)
Hmmm...how to sign off now? Johan? Faisal? Manaf...? Tauke tempe? Hmmm King Kong ajalah...!! Hahaha...
Friday, March 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
Heheheheheheheh...tersengeh bacin bila baca post ni. ;-)
Apa2 pun yr name, both has great meaning. Masok kandang kambing mengembek, masok kandang unta? Unta make vhat sound tauke??
Whichever name they want you to use or u chose to use, only I can call you by one name which is...(DRUMROLL...!!) SECRET!!! LOL!! ;-D
Oo... ghitu ye... maksudnyer Johan akan tersedak ler setiap kali ada Perlawanan ke, games ke, temasyah sukan ker.. Berpuluh-puluh kali dia orang sebut.. Johan untuk perlawanan ni ialah....
Kesian Johan tu tersedak tak tentu pasal...
Nama King Kong best jugak.
Josh, tu laaa... kengkadang heran kenapa asyik tersedak jer...
MIM, memangkan...? pandai mak bapak pilihkan nama... kah kah kah...! (padahal mungkin depa kasi hantam kromo ajer...). Johan was taken from the name of the doctor who did the caesarian to take me out from my mom's tummy...
apa2 hal, for now... King Kong jugak best...! joining the Honeybear club...! kah kah kah!
hello!!
Got ur link from mr imran. Nice meeting ya! Shall I call you Faisal or Johan or Manaf or King Kong haa?
Have a lovely day!
hi Chen...!
thanks for visiting... I have been checking your blog for quite awhile actually... got the link from Beruang Madu la, siapa lagi... cuma, ala2 malu segan silu nak letak komen...
haiyaa...! itu MIM Tauke Tauhu memang suka buat publicity murahan maaa... I paisey oledi...:D
kasi cincai lah... call me Johan :) in the cyberworld, can oso call me KingKong, not in the street/real world pls... kang kecoh lak nanti keluar newspaper "Penang diserang King Kong..."... "Singapura dah dilanggar Todak" dah... ada betul ka Tauke Tahu...? hehehe..
aku pun dpt link ni dari MIM nye blog. berlambak2. he he. ok la tu...
anyway... Johan? nama bapak aku tu. he he. alias dia aje le.
alahai... segannyer aku... hmmm... ape ke halnyer pulak si MIM tuh mention blog aku memanjang sejak-duamenjak kebelakangan nih... segan aku, aku nih pemalu orangnyer...! kah kah kah!!! (I can visualize someone ketawa berguling2..!)
so sekarang nih, aku jadik bapaknya kepada Tsar...!! fuyoooo...! memang tak disangka... hehehe...
thanks for visiting dude...
Hellooooo where I got do publicity murahan one?? Never charge okay...OK, now I want to charge you. You got FEEDJIT already right the traffic feeds, every country coming your blog I charge you 5 dirhams or more depending on the country's currency rate. Hahahaha....Wa kaya! Wa kaya!!
Pemalu konon...! Peygey dah!! Hahahaha...(ketawa bukan guling2 jer, hentak kepala kat tembok lagi takleh stop gelak). ;-D
U vait...u vait...I ask the SG todak come and langgar you in Saudi. Heheheheh...!
great, so i'll call you king kong. You can call me Miss Cherry Chen. If you read my blog entry today, you'd understand why!
chen-
Miss Cherry Chen??? Eeeeeeeewwwwwww!!!
Miss Chen, cherry sekilo hari ni brapa harganyer?
MIM, eh jgn hentak kapla kat tembok....! self inflicted injury not covered by insurance one you know... :)
alaaaa... todak2 SG tuh tak larat sampai ke KSA nih, panas, dlm perjalanan dah siap jadik ikan salai... sampai KSA terus kena makan jer... lagipun Riyadh nih kat tengah2 semenanjung tanah arab, mana ada laut, camna nak sampai? naik lori tangki? mati kena salai ler dibawah terikan matahari skrng nih...
Chen... hmm Miss Cherry Chen...! nice to know you... I have to read your blog more often to understand why...
btw guys, summer is here - ystdy it was 36degreC... dah mula paneh dah...!
kingkong-
Oh ya, working in Dubai got no insurance one. OK, stopping now. ;-)
Ikang salai sedappppp!
There goes vinter. Sigh...
imran is going back to malaysia next month to work. how bout u?
bapakku king kongggg... he he
Miss Cherry Chen, you know what....? I hate you oledi...!! kah kah kah!! don't la remind-remind me like that one.... dah ler skrg nih ada kat Riyadh ntah biler-biler nak balik Dubai... ada la pulak dia tanya soalan2 camtu...! gua nangih kang..!! ha, nangih kang...!! sapa nak pujuk...? buruk tau King Kong tangih...!
am staying back bro... demi mencari rejeki yang halal Pak...! di mana2 aja di antar, gue bisa pergi...!
Tsar, bapak King Kong best tau! semua orang respek..! kat sekolah budak2 lain tak berani buli... hehe..
eek!! jangan nangis yer! alamak!
Johan,
interesting entry i must say.
i always envy people with two names or more, for i only have one - Shahrizan.
i have been called "Abang" which is actually my aristocratic title for as long as i remember.
only for the past few years, i've been called Shah - much to my delight.
people still refer to me as Abang once in a while but i have begun to like my name, albeit having only one.
Post a Comment