Friday, April 25, 2008

What makes one a Good Malaysian?

Was reading this article by RPK in Malaysia Today (http://www.malaysia-today.net/2008/content/view/6539/84/)

Aiyoo...I tell you, life in Riyadh is so interesting that I am engulfing myself into reading blogs, books, and posting the usual crap in this blog of mine...anyhow, just after reading the article (RPK articles are often mind stimulating, I find...), a question popped out in my mind:

What makes one a good Malaysian?

  • Good command of Bahasa Malaysia?
  • Being able to converse in another Malaysian ethnic language?
  • As a dancer, being able to perform Joget, Lion dance and Bharatanatyam?
  • As a cook, being able to prepare delicious Sotong Kangkung, Sup Kambing, Enche Kabin, Ayam Pongteh, Mee Mamak, Mee Rebus, Mee Hailam, Mee Kolok, Mee Jawa, Laksa Johor, Laksa Sarawak, Nyonya Laksa, Assam Laksa, Nasi Goreng Kampung, Nasi Lemak etc etc?
  • To have min a set of 3 different Malaysian ethnic attires (eg. baju melayu, cheongsam, kurata and I dunno how they call the clothes that the Sarawakian & Sabahan wear...)?
  • To understand fully min 2 celebration of each religion respected in Malaysia?

Or the question is just simply a stupid question which does not make any sense?

If ever, Malaysian government creates a new category under "bangsa" called Bangsa Malaysia (bukan kerakyatan, OK), and wanna create an incentive plan (like NEP, special privileges for this new ethnic: Bangsa Malaysia), what would be the criteria of eligibility for this ethnic?

Again, am I posing a very... da stupid, da very "doesn't make sense" question?

So dearest kengkawan Doktor2, Pensyarah2, Jurutera2, Pakar-pakar Muzik, Jurugambar-Jurugambar ternama, Juru2 dlm segala bidang yang unik dan tersendiri...share with me your opinion pls...sajer jer nak buat sembang2, pikir2, drpd pikir benda2 yg tak berpaedah, isu2 bual tingkap gitu.

By the way, 2 more questions:
  1. Can anybody tell me, what "Baju Kebangsaan" means...? Always see this dress code requirement whenever I get an invitation for official functions organized by the Malaysian Embassy ("Batik atau Baju Kebangssan"). What are the "Baju Kebangsaan"?
  2. Does it really show that I am dead bored in Riyadh...? kah kah kah...!!!

No comments: