Thursday, August 14, 2008

I did not question rights of Malay students, says Mentri Besar

“The statement was made in the context to uplift the quality of Malay students through tertiary education in a borderless world where it would give them better job opportunities,” said Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim. (read here)

yes....!! UiTM grads are no longer competitive in Malaysian market... dulu may be, coz there were no other universities & colleges, but now... when everybody can speak English fluently, UiTM grads are still fumbling over past tense, present tense and future tense...

Bak kata Julie Dahlan..., "you wait FOREVER, I call you back later, OK Datuuuk...?"

REFORMASI...!! REFORMASI...!! REFORMASI...!!!

20 comments:

PUTUBAMBU said...

kah..kah..!! tak tahan dengar statement JD tu..

KK, aku pun UiTM grad tau.. Jengka mari...huhu..tapi dulu ITM le..bukan UiTM..

ada pro n cons lah benda ni..
tapi tak habis discuss lagi.. dah ada yg melenting... baru suggestion je kan? belum diputuskan lagi..

hmm.. macam2 lah M'sia sekarang ni..

Shah said...

Ala-ala mutton crossing the road la kiranya ye?

Kembara Musafir said...

PB, ITM & UiTM lain... harapkan nama jer upgrade but I doubt that they have increased the standard... dlm zaman yg semakin competitive nih, kita pun haruslah terus meningkatkan standard kita supaya sama2 competitive, kalau tak lebih competitive... what is better than introducing some competition...?

my eldest brader oso grad ITM, and it had done him good years ago... but now, alahai, I would recommend my nephews & nieces to work hard and apply at other local Uni... UiTM mcm dah ada jadik China & the Great Wall (long time ago), closing itself to everything... skrng pun China is opening up a lot... waaaayyyy a lot...!! UiTM bila lak?

Shah, memang pun...!! mutton & beef crossing the road, catching2 photos near the swimming fool...!!
boleh...? kah kah kah...!!

wahaza extra said...

Suka remarks kak Julie Dahlan tu...

The2010Imran said...

Hehe...nampak gaya cam nak buat dialog kat blog cheq! Kalo nak the whole dialog Fengantin Fofular, silalah ke lelaman blog MIM. Jeng! Jeng!! Jeng!!! LOL! Boleh ka tauke, gua self-promote? Kekeke...
Jgn mare ah, komen lari dari topic. Bak kata Yazrie - Opps! ;D

Kembara Musafir said...

MIM... ala... baru jer nak tanya what was the complete dialogue JD dlm movie tuh.... dia dah nak letak kat blog dia... oklah... kasi can laaa... you put, later I still from your blog... hehehe...

Anonymous said...

Blame the school system when students still fumble over their tenses since they should have had at least 11 years of learning English. All the tenses were not taught in one module, mind you.

...when everybody can speak English fluently? Where? Malaysia? Everybody in UKM, UPM, TAR College?

thoyol said...

heh,

marahkan nyamuk, kelambu dibakar..

standardlah bro.. bila media dah dikawal, everything seem credible. Ayat senang pun akan dipusing.

Tue lah ko, duk jauh2 lagi..

SHAH, THE HELL'S FIREWOOD said...

been in UiTM for almost 7 years now...depa kata nak jadi world-class uni, so "bukalah pintu gerbang" seluas-luasnya.

depa tambah kuota sampai 30% sekalipun...kalau anak Melayu dan Bumiputera kita memang competitive, for sure we'll succeed.

memang asal penubuhan untuk orang Melayu, tapi kalau Malay youth sekarang pun malu mengaku undergrads UiTM...baik buka je pintu. yup, 10% is a lot...but one has to wake up before it's too late.

Kembara Musafir said...

anonymous... (siapakah ini...!! hehe...).. tak best lah point fingers at others... awat nak salahkan school system lak...? (even though you are in a certain way rite)... instead of pointing fingers, I would prefer that we do whatever is required to improve the situation or solve the pbm. kalau UiTM increase the standard, and requires student to be proficient in English, wouldn't the students work harder? a more strict entry requirement? a stiffer graduation requirement? kita bukannya nak menambah2kan bilangan graduate yg lepas tapi tak berkualiti... setakat nak dptkan title "graduate", nak beli kat internet pun boley sekarang... we want quality first..!! and if we can get the quantity later, I would be the happiest person in the world...

"...when everybody can speak English fluently? Where? Malaysia? Everybody in UKM, UPM, TAR College?" - don't get what you wanna highlight...

Kembara Musafir said...

Thoyol,... aku duduk jauh2 demi menyahut cabaran globalisasi... hehe.. membuka minda, menimba pengalaman... dan mencarik duit extra nak bayar hutang kat Mesia tuh... kah kah kah...!! dulu dah enjoy2 bagus2 punya, sekarang kenalah keje bagus2nya lak...!!

Zeyn... ntah bila2 lah agaknya anak2 Bumiputera berani & sanggup menyahut cabaran...? bukankah menerima "10% bukan bumiputera" itu juga satu cabaran? dicabar dgn 10% pun dah tak mahu, nak buat camna?

"depa tambah kuota sampai 30% sekalipun...kalau anak Melayu dan Bumiputera kita memang competitive, for sure we'll succeed" - correct. are we competitive now? I doubt so, that's why I am FOR change & improvement

Kembara Musafir said...

"...when everybody can speak English fluently? Where? Malaysia? Everybody in UKM, UPM, TAR College?"...

ok, ok... I have exagerated a bit... but check out the students at KDU, Metropolitan College, Lim Kok Wing Uni, Univeristy Petronas, IMU.... their English is by far better...

Anonymous said...

John! Il a raison ce mec. Check this out. http://www.michaelooi.net/2008/08/13/uitm-a-big-joke/#comments

Tuler, diorang pun tak hingin. :P

wahaza extra said...

You might be right;

A lot of graduate tak kiralah mana2 universiti skrg ni - swasta ke tak - have an issues with english - aku dulu pun haram tak faham kenapalah nak kena belajar org putih - tapi biler kejer dgn org yg tak reti bahasa melayu - barulah sedar - blh cakap tapi haram nak tulis tak betul2 lg- haha -

I think english is not what you learn from school. To blame the school system is really bad coz schools is for everyone - yg lemah to the one yg smart.

On top that, most of kdu, lkw or other private schools student in kl - their family or friends mostly do speaks english n most of them are city student - they do ckp flawlessly but bila suruh tulis proposal or anythinglah - same je dgn budak2 yg tak tahu ckp; I got them under my payroll - so that one you've to believe me - hahaha - garu kepala kau - bila aku yg tak reti tulis suruh anak buah yg ckp mcm tengok citer org putih still tak boleh tulis jugak ni;

KK, ader ke budak2 out of KL tahu wujudnya LKW/KDU kalau dia tak pernah dtg kl? I think student who goes to better college is lucky coz the got the exposure and kind of help them to be in the job market easier compare to others.

Yg lain tu kalau dr kampung - only learn english frm text book - or maybe better from tv - SOME (bukan semua) yg pegi UiTM, at the beginning tak tahu pun lagi aper tujuan dia pegi UiTM tu..

All this, take time - selagi diorg feel comfortable selagi tulah diorg tak change; Some who realise they need to change and they will change otherwise they will stay put.

"You wait forever; ye datuk!" Hahaha

Kembara Musafir said...

Wahaza.... I totally agree with you....!! the thing is : most of Malays are still in the comfort zone.... that mentality has to change... and my opinion is that we have to make drastic changes to wake these guys up... the whole community, not only the students, cikgu cikgi, ketua kampung, penghulu, makcik2, mak ngah, uda, angah, achik, ucu.... Malays have been bribed with subsidies, privileges and all sorts of things which were supposed to help us.... it did help us, but no more... it had poisoned us instead... too much of anything is always bad... in this case, too much of assistance & privileges...

my main point is : malays need to be challenged now... and that is why we have to take away the privileges bit by bit... no more comfort zone... GO OUT AND CONQUER THE WORLD...!!!!

pasal English proficiency tuh, it was an example... again, I agree that I have exagerated, but the fact remains, compare UIA or UM students against UiTM students, let's not kid ourselves by saying that there is no difference in the level of proficiency...

read what this guy has to say : http://www.michaelooi.net/2008/08/13/uitm-a-big-joke/#comments

I was in a boarding school for awhile, boy, am damn glad that I got out of that school and went to "Sek Men Agama St Michael, Ipoh" hehe.... SMI really opened my eyes... am thankful that this episode took place in my life....

I am for CHANGE.... not because I wanna sabo my own people, but because I strongly believe that we have to change, to evolve with time, so that we can face the world better....

and, I do seriously think that this "positive descrimination" that we have practiced all this while to improve the status of bumiputera, it really has to stop sooner or later.... it was called "positive descrimination" - yes (and I do agree with the concept), but now, I believe that it has become as simple as "racial descrimination"....

am no Imam, am no warak... far from there (tersangatlah jauh.... hehehe...), but it is very much UN-Islamic....

Kembara Musafir said...

thanks Taty... interesting read...

yazrie said...

kannnn....!

Kembara Musafir said...

kan Yaz kan....!!! hahaha...

yazrie said...

kannnnnnnnnnnnnn...sbb tatau nk komen apa dah..tgk (tengok je ye..BUKAN baca!)komen2 ni punyalah panjang..leh buat entry pasal KOMEN2 plak....*geleng-geleng kepala...

Kembara Musafir said...

kira OKlah tuh Yaz... bual2 pasal masa depan negara... hehehe...